Monday, April 12, 2010

Lots and lots going on

Greetings from across the pond!!

It's been a pretty hectic couple of weeks, but that's bound to happen as the semester comes to an end and everything is due/trying to see all the sights. But have no fear, I have made time to update my blog to entertain what I have left of readers..

Anyway, I went to Amsterdam two weekends ago with Meghan and other people from my group, and minus the weather it was a lot of fun. Amsterdam is a really cool city, and life there is so simple..I enjoyed it because I didn't feel all the hustle and bustle that I usually feel when I'm in London, so it was really nice to just relax...We did a lot of the tourist stuff, including the Anne Frank House. That was an experience like no other, and honestly one of the best things I've done while I've been in Europe. But the highlight of the weekend BY FAR was being able to watch the first 4.5 innings of OPENING DAY BASEBALL at 2 AM at some Sports Cafe near our hostel..Meghan and I were on a mission to find the game, and it was a great success! We watched the beginning of the game with two sox fans, which was fun for us because that was when the Yanks were actually winning..it sucks that they lost, but regardless it was fun to say the least...

The week after Amsterdam was absolutely CRAZY. I pretty much got no sleep, and went allllll over the place..We got back Monday mid afternoon, and then Tuesday I had a "walk" for sociology, which was really awesome because it was gorgeous outside..We went all around the London Bridge area, and saw a lot of things that were relevant to what we've been learning all semester...Before class my friend and I also made our way to Abbey Road, which for all of those who don't know is where that infamous picture of the Beatles was taken. Needless to say it is in probably the nicest areas of London I've ever been in...Then Wednesday was my last day at the Arbour. Which honestly, was bitter sweet. I think minus the frustrations I had with Sasha it really was a great experience, and allowed me to be a part of a culture and see/do things I never would've imagined doing going into it...I'm definitely going to miss it..not the people, or the lack or organization, but definitely all the things that I've done working with kids. Thursday was probably the longest day ever, because we started off going to a museum at 11 AM..I'll skip over it because it was a waste of time (but we had to do it for class). Then we went to another museum, but this was actually kinda cool. We ended up going behind the scenes at the British Museum. It took us all underneath where they keep all the things that they don't put on display, and we had a 2 hour tour and it was really cool.. Except it was semi awkward because none of us were really up to par on our Egyptian knowledge, so when our guide asked questions nobody had a whole lot to say..After museums class and not nearly enough of a break, we then met up with our Global Citizens class and headed to see the construction going on for the 2012 Olympics. It's a work in progress, but it's going to be HUGE. What's especially cool about it is that it's in the poorer area of London as an attempt to build up life there for them, so there is a huge controversy surrounding that..It's also right near the Arbour, which was especially relevant for me in that it really hit home just how little the people that I've been working with have...That night the Arbour threw us four volunteers a going away party, and we all went bowling so it was a lot of fun because I hadn't been bowling in a loooooong time. Friday we had a field study for my museums class which took us to Charles Darwin's house in Kent..it was a gorgeous area, but at this point we were all exhausted from all that we did the day before, and didn't really appreciate it at all..

This past weekend I went to Wales, which was gorgeous. We went as a group on Saturday to Big Pit, which is an old coal mine..we toured it for about a hour, and it was really entertaining because we all had to wear these big hard hats with lights on them...After seeing Big Pit I went to Cardiff to see Maggie, which was a lot of fun. Cardiff is definitely an awesome area, and reminded me a lot of Liverpool in the way that it's set up. We went to Cardiff Bay for Fish & Chips, and ended up riding the carousel because lets face it we're all children at heart..haha..

Other than that, nothing else is all that new. I was able to watch the UConn game via my friend's parents having skype set up the entire game, and I've been able to watch bits and pieces of Yankee games as well..My time in London is winding down, and I have a ton of work to get done in the next two weeks..But then after that I have a nice 10 days to just relax and for all of you who don't know already, I'm going to Spain. So yes, I might have to change the name of my blog but it'll be nice to hang out with Meghan for a bit before going back home and starting off my busy summer..

Anywho, I'm off to start my tons of work that is starting to pile up a bit so I can enjoy next week when TOM AND NANCE ARE HERE! :D

1 comment: