Friday, April 2, 2010

Football Matches, Castles, and getting locked out

About a week or so ago I experienced my first ever (and probably only while I'm here) football match. I went to a Westham game vs. Wolverhampton, and I must say the atmosphere was SO MUCH FUN. Everyone around you is just so passionate about football, and the team, it was really entertaining to watch all the people swearing and going crazy..the game itself wasn't all that great..Westham lost 3-1, and played terribly against a team that apparently they should've been able to beat? Regardless it was pretty awesome to go..but I must say it made me ready for the baseball season, because as much fun as I did have I feel as though I would've appreciated it much more if I had known all of the rules and such like I do when I'm at a baseball or basketball game..

Later that week during the weeekend we went to Windsor Castle, which was really gorgeous. Out of all the castles I've seen, it was definitely the best one. It is HUGE and there is a whole town built around it with lots of little shops and restaurants, definitely an ideal place to walk around when it's warmer. The flag was flying when we were there, which means that the Queen was actually there..the people around us said it was for her Easter Holiday, which didn't make a whole lot of sense because Easter is this weekend and not when we were there, but I guess she just likes taking a lot of time off! hahaha.

Other than the football match and windsor castle, the past week has been absolutley crazy. Although I haven't had a whole lot of work to do while I've been here, I do have huge papers, projects, and debates all due at once..This past week I was working on a 2,000 word paper that was about the inability to globalize a definition for obesity..quite the interesting thing to write about, but regardless it took up a good amount of my time..It's so weird that I only have about a month left here in Europe. It seems like just the other day I was laughing going through security as Tom and Nance waited to make sure I got by..Regardless, I'd say so far it's been a pretty awesome semester. I've come to realize that I absolutely love to travel..I've known it all along, but honestly it has definitely been the best part of being in Europe..Even as I sit here right now, I'm heading to Amsterdam (and meeting up with Meghan!!) in a few hours which is crazy to think about because we booked it FOREVER ago..Oh well, I guess time just really does fly...

As for getting locked out, you were probably thinking that I got locked out of my flat..Well, you're wrong. I got locked out of my placement at the Arbour Youth Centre a couple weeks ago..In case you forgot, that's where I do my volunteer work once a week..The reason I haven't really written anything about it is because frankly, I haven't been enjoying it all that much. The woman that I work with is a flake, and she's so unorganized. I barely interact with kids because our club that we were supposed to start didn't end up working out (another result of her inability to be organized) and so we don't do a whole lot during the day except run an exercise class in the morning, during which I do child care (which consists of one child that has come twice). But as for getting locked out, we showed up at the Arbour around 9:35 when we were supposed to get there at 9;45..so we were early..but when we got there not only was the door locked but there was a sign on it that said that our exercise class was canceled. Normally when something like that happens, as someone that runs it it's a nice thing to inform the instructor right? Well apparently Sasha (the woman that I work with) didn't call us, or tell us they were locking the door..and to make matters worse, we had to sit outside for 2 hours because we weren't allowed in..It was an absolute mess, and I was really about ready to just get up and go home..but in typical fashion, we decided to wait so we could actually talk to Sasha. I gave her a piece of my mind..it was so frustrating to deal with, but I guess this whole time at the Arbour will just be a learning experience for me..Not as great as I thought it would be, but I guess you can't win them all..


That's all for now..off to Amsterdam and I have a few things to say

1) Happy Easter/Passover to everyone!!
2) GO HUSKIES!!!
3) GO YANKEES!!!

that is all :)

No comments:

Post a Comment